The band Gurizada Fandangueira was performing at Kiss nightclub on the night of January 27, 2013, the date on which a fire at the venue killed 242 people and left another 363 injured in Santa Maria (RS). Ten years later, the former members are divided and some no longer pursue a career in music.
The tragedy was the subject of the series “Every day the same night”, released by Netflix on Wednesday (25), and the documentary “Boate kiss – A Tragédia de Santa Maria”, by Globoplay, available since Thursday (26).
At the time, the full band consisted of six musicians: vocalist Marcelo de Jesus dos Santos, guitarist Rodrigo Lemos Martins, drummer Eliel Bagesteiro de Lima, percussionist Márcio André de Jesus — Marcelo’s brother —, accordion player Danilo Jaques and Giovani Kegler, responsible for the double bass.
What happened after the tragedy at Kiss Nightclub?
Danilo Jaques was the only member of the band to die during the fire.. In depositions to Justice, Rodrigo Lemos Martins stated that the fire started after the use of a pyrotechnic device – in addition to confirming that the nightclub was overcrowded.
The investigation concluded that the artifact was used by Marcelo de Jesus dos Santos, then leader of the band, during the presentation at the Kiss nightclub.
- Two members of Gurizada Fandangueira were arrested after jury held in December 2021 — Marcelo de Jesus dos Santos and Luciano Bonilha Leão (technical assistant at Gurizada Fandangueira). They were sentenced to 18 years in prison, but remained detained in the São Vicente do Sul state prison for eight months.
- Elissandro Spohr and Mauro Hoffmann, partners in the nightclub, were also sentenced to 22 years and six months, and 19 years and six months in prison, respectively.
- The four convicts began to respond to the process in freedom after the annulment of the 2021 jury. The decision was released by TJ-RS in August 2022.
- The Public Ministry of Rio Grande do Sul appealed after the decision, but the request was rejected by the Federal Supreme Court after analysis by Minister Rosa Weber, CNN reported in January of this year. A new trial must be held, still without a set date.
Where are other musicians from Gurizada Fandangueira?
Among the professionals involved with the band, only Marcelo de Jesus dos Santos and Luciano Bonilha Leão were legally responsible for the tragedy.
- Rodrigo Lemos continues his career music as a member of the group Tagarrado, which also performs in Rio Grande do Sul. He often posts presentations on his Facebook profile. “Thank God, I’m moving on with my life. It wasn’t easy, I went through a lot of difficulties”, says the splash.
- Eliel Bagesteiro de Lima is legally responsible for a used furniture store in Santa Maria (RS), according to data available on the official website of the Federal Revenue. In contact with the report, the retail trade denies any relationship with the musician.
- Giovani Kegler continues to participate in presentations and musical projects in Santa Maria, but does not belong to a specific band. He also posts information about jobs on Facebook.
- splash tried to contact the last two musicians mentioned, but did not get a response. The space remains open if you want to comment on life after the tragedy.
Tags: Gurizada Fandangueira band tragedy